Today was the release of Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa. This release is an LTS release, meaning it will have extended support for 5 years, until April 2025. Among the main innovations compared to Ubuntu 19.10 are the following.
- The theme of Yaru design has been significantly updated, including the third design option, which is completely light. Violet color began to dominate the design.
- The theme of the icons has also been redesigned, they are now in gray colors.
- In the application menu, you can now create folders and group applications according to your criteria.
- The search mode has been significantly redesigned. The display of search results is divided into categories.
- Fractional scaling support is now available not only for Wayland, but also for the X11 session. Due to this, on HiDPI monitors with a high pixel density it is now possible to increase all elements not only by 2 times, but also by 1.5 or, say, 1.25.
- The screen lock mode has been redesigned, now a blurred image of the main background is used. The login screen has also been modified.
- All notifications can now be turned off using the Do Not Disturb switch.
- In all system dialogs, you can now enable the password display mode.
- System settings have also been refined. Added support for fractional scaling, changed user settings dialog.
- During boot, the graphic logo of the motherboard OEM is now displayed when operating in UEFI mode.
- The latest version of the Nautilus file manager supports working with your favorites, has improved search and dynamic window changes. Unfortunately, dragging files to the desktop is still not implemented.
- Completely removed all traces of Amazon from the system.
The performance of the GNOME Shell is improved by reducing CPU load and minimizing delays in drawing window animations.
- The software center is now distributed in a snap package. Access to several software branches at once allows you to select the desired software version.
- Added support for exFAT, virtio-fs and fs-verity file systems.
- Added support for 10-bit color.
- The updated installer now includes support for ZFS and NVIDIA proprietary drivers.
- The Linux 5.4 kernel with backported support for the WireGuard protocol (secure VPN technology) was used.
Ubuntu 20.04 includes updated versions of the following programs and components:
- Linux kernel 5.4
- GNOME 3.36
- Mesa 20.0
- BlueZ 5.53
- PulseAudio 14.0
- Firefox 75.0
- Thunderbird 68.7.0
- LibreOffice 6.4
- Mesa 20.0
- Glibc 2.31
- GCC 9.3
Download Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa
You can download the Ubuntu 20.04 LTS image either from here.
You can upgrade from Ubuntu versions 18.04 or 19.10. Please note that it will not work to upgrade from the 32-bit version of Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04, because support for 32-bit systems was discontinued in the 19.10 release.
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS will be supported for 5 years, until April 2025.